Old 07-08-14, 08:11 PM
PSYS

Bikes: '14 TREK 8.2 DS / '08 CANNONDALE System6 Team Edition

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hempdaddy
I decided to go for a ride the other day. My goal was 10 miles, flat paved surface. I made it 2 miles before I had to start switching hands. I tried just resting my hands on the grips rather than squeezing them. No help. I turned around after 3 miles, 6 mile ride total. My LBS wants $60 US to do a fit test and set it up for me. For that money I could get new grips or put it towards a higher riser on the goose-neck. I don't want to throw parts at the problem until it is fixed, that can be expensive. SO... Is getting a fit test worth it? I am not going to ride competitively, or for especially long rides, but want to commute the 13 miles one-way to work when the weather cools off in Phoenix.

Funny you said that.... I did a short 5-mile ride after dinner this evening and I'm definitely heading to my LBS this weekend. I'm not gripping the handlebars with a death grip and I made a conscious effort to remain relaxed on this ride. My hands didn't go numb, but now I'm starting to pay attention to how they feel. When I initially got my DS 3-weeks ago, they simply eyeballed me on the bike and said it looked good (the "simple" fit is free with every bike purchase) so I'm guessing that was the simple fit. My LBS wants $50 for what they call a "Basic 4-point" fit test and I'm tempted to pay it. If they recommend the bike ends after the fact, so be it. I don't think the bike ends could hurt and far too many people on the forum recommend them.

I've got about 70 miles on this thing over the course of the last 3 weeks. It's not UNcomfortable, but I'm wondering if some simple tweaks will make it feel even better.

There's a lot of geometry stacked up in this fairly compact machine. I've read too many discussions on this forum where someone flipped their stem or moved their seats down a few millimeters and all of a sudden, it feels like they have a brand new and better fitting bike. I don't know if any of this helps, but this how I'm going to approach it. *shrug*