View Single Post
Old 09-27-18, 03:15 AM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I'm helping my buddy online shop for his first gravel bike. We're both new to this. He'd love the steel Niner RLT. We both like Salsa's offerings. He's leaning towards a Kona Sutra LTD this week. The Jamis Renegade models caught my eye earlier today too. I just noticed Norco updated their web site today for the 2019 models. This one runs at $1,599. Aluminum frame (i know you said you'd prefer steel), carbon fork, 700c and 650b wheel compatible, 1x 11-speed drivetrain, mech disc brakes... my dealer knocked off $200/$400 for the two bikes i've bought from him, i'm sure yours could give you a good deal too for whichever brand you purchased.

https://www.norco.com/bikes/dirt-dro...uminum-apex-1/

Right now i'm a Norco fanboy because my favorite shop carries them and I've bought two in the last two years, my first bikes in around 30 years. There are tons of options these days. Kona sells their steel Rove as a frame-set at a decent price too ($600?), and that SEEMS to take both 700c and 650b as well.

By the way, I'm loving my 2018 slate blue Norco Search XR-S. I'm even getting used to the mechanical disc brakes (I thought i was hopelessly spoiled by my hardtail's hydraulics). It's not as fast as my 1983 Bianchi Campione d'Italia with 25c tires (can't imagine how quick a modern carbon-framed road bike might feel), but the Clement X'Plor MSO 40c tires, tubeless at 38-40psi, run great on pavement.

Eric/Fresno, CA

Last edited by ericzamora; 09-27-18 at 03:37 AM.