View Single Post
Old 09-27-18, 05:10 PM
JohnUSA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by syncro87
The Raleigh Willard fits most of your requirements, I think. They make a similar bike in steel called the Tamland, and one in carbon if you can still find one called the Roker. All available if you find the right deal in your price range or under. Personally, I think the Willard is the best value of the bunch, and at 17 years old and on a budget, the best use of money for you. I was surprised at how smooth the Willard is, and was leery of aluminum before...not anymore. I thought I had to have steel, yada yada. I still like steel bikes, but I've been converted to one who now realizes aluminum is quite good these days.

I'd recommend a Jamis Renegade as well, but the deals with the Raleigh partner program are better for a roughly equivalent bike. If you found a great deal on a Renegade I'd have it on your list. Also the Diamondback Haanjo. GT Grade, Fuji Jari, etc.

But again, Willard for the win, given your criteria and budget, and based on my experience with one.

I watched the Raleigh site for a while, and waited for the Willard to go on sale. Got a Willard 2, which is comparable to this year's level 3 bike, for around $800 shipped to my door and tax free. Apex 1x11, carbon fork, tubeless ready wheels, Clement MSO tires, Spyre disc brakes, thru axles. I couldn't find anything else equivalent spec for nearly that price. I was looking at a Norco Search, but it was twice the money for similar spec. The bike I have was a steal for what I received.

I could have had a Tamland for around $1100 at the time, FYI, if you are stuck on steel.

I can't remember how I got signed up for the partner / corp code deal, but there is talk on the forums here about it if you search around.
I really appreciate your help! The Raleigh Willard looks very nice!

I think I’ve narrowed it down to the Raleigh Willard, the Fuji Jari, and the Jamis Renegade. Any opinions on that comparison? The Willard looks nice.