Old 02-03-19, 12:10 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
My new-to-me commuter / casual-rider

When the weather is nice I enjoy riding my road bike. But it has its drawbacks; it's not a very good grocery-getter. And donning the shoes and bike kit just to ride a MUP with my wife and kids is overkill, and a little inconvenient (yet it's not very comfortable in 'street clothes'). It is also mostly a fair-weather bike because (especially with 28mm tires) it doesn't have room for fenders. Though road cycling is my first love, I really wanted a bike for the rest of the time -- for riding to the store, for riding with my wife and kids, for commuting, and for casual riding when I don't feel like getting into my full kit.

It took a while to find, but in October I finally came across a used 2014 Cannondale Quick CX 3 in my size, in pretty good shape, and at the right price. Then I set out to outfit it to fill those needs not met by my road bike. It's been a work in progress for the past few months; I had to clean years worth of grime and poor-maintenance off of it. And I added new tires, fenders, rack, saddle bag, lights, computer, pump, pedals, and (as needed) panniers. Here's the outcome:

• Bike: 2014 Cannondale Quick CX 3
  • Drivetrain: Shimano Alivio (rear) / Shimano Altus (front).
  • Gearing: 48/38/28 chainrings, 11-32t 8-speed rear cassette.
  • Brakes: Cannondale hydraulic disk.
  • Tires: Continental Grand Prix 4 Season 700x32c
  • Rack: Tubus Cargo Evo
  • Pannier(2): Ortlieb Bike Shopper
  • Pedals: Shimano PD-M324 (Platform / SPD Combination)
  • Saddle bag: Topeak Aero Wedge Medium.
  • Mini-pump: Topeak Mini-Morph.
  • Fenders: SKS Longboard Chromoplastic 40mm (for use with 28-37mm tires).
  • Rear light: CygloLite Hotshot 100.
  • Side light: PlanetBike Bottle Blinkey (mounted under bottle cage).
  • Front light (not shown): Light & Motion Taz 1200.
  • Computer: Velo 7.
It came with some worn out 35mm Kenda Happy Medium tires, and if I intended to ride it in the snow I would have replaced them with something even wider, and even knobbier. But I'll call it a 3.5 season bike (the last 0.5 being snowy / icy conditions -- I don't have to ride those days). I'm really liking the 32mm GP 4 Season tires.

This time of year isn't road biking season for me, but here's a shot of my road bike:

• 2008 Cannondale Synapse Sport (Aluminum)
  • Drivetrain: Shimano 105
  • Gearing: 50/39/30 front, 11-28 rear 10sp.
  • Rack: Tubus Fly Evo
  • Saddle bag: Topeak Aero Wedge Small
  • Lights: CygloLite HotShot Pro150, Light & Motion Urban 1000
  • Pedals: Shimano 105 SPD-SL
  • Computer: Older CatEye wireless.
  • Pump: Lezyne Road Mini.
  • Wheels: Fulcrum Racing Quattro LG
  • Tires: Continental Grand Prix 4000s II, 700x28c
Anyway, I'm happy to have a hybrid again. Years ago I had a 2001 Cannondale H400 that I gave to my nephew when I bought the road bike, thinking that I wouldn't need it anymore. He probably pawned it for weed, and I have regretted not having a hybrid to use for those times when the road bike isn't the ideal tool. I think the new-to-me Quick CX is going to fill that need nicely.

(Yes, they're both triples. I live in pretty hilly terrain.)

Last edited by daoswald; 02-03-19 at 12:16 AM.