Old 02-17-19, 03:25 PM
CodyDog

Bikes: Specialized Vado SL/Trek Fuel EXe

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by u235
Any other criteria besides tire clearance and carbon? What are your thoughts on wheelbase and position (angles) or the possibility of adding any bags or racks or fenders or the included gearing on what you are looking at. I put tire width high on the list but frame material much lower for a multiterrain or multipurpose bike. Gearing and geometry are up there for me (gearing fixable but can get expensive, geometry and wheelbase is almost fixed). Are you trying to mimic an experience and feel from an existing road bike you have now or looking for something else? More choices and more things to consider doesn't make the decision harder, it should make it easier to help narrow it down.

Specific comment about the DB Hanjo mentioned in post 12 above. That has a very high standover for the given size compared to just about anything else. Maybe in real world it would have been a non issue for me but that was a negative check on my list.

Thanks for your comments. My experience is with A Specialized Stump-Jumper and Fat tire bike, both alloy frames. Gravel bikes with drop bars area a new path for me. My desire for wider tire potential is based on future trail riding, a little hairier than your average gravel. My preference for carbon is its ability to absorb shock vibration. As far as geometry, deciding on which way to go for comfort on longer rides and more stability, seems like most gravel geometries offer this. Wanting a dual chain ring for a wider range of ratios (road riding).

You're right about more choices and things to consider shouldn't make the decision harder. I guess I'm just over thinking choices. Going to make a decision in the next day or so.