Old 03-07-19, 04:04 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by zarbog
I like most of the Roam aspects, mine is a Roam 3 disc, should of sprung for the 2. The only thing function wise I do not love is the gear set. Bit clunky and too much chain noise using the extreme ranges.
You may just need some adjustment on your drivetrain. The difference in the drivetrain between the 2 and the 3 (at least in the US) is the 3 uses a 3x8 drivetrain with a Shimano RD-M360 rear derailleur (a traditional style derailleur) and the 2 users a 3x9 drivetrain with a Shimano RD-M3000 rear derailleur (a newer Shadow derailleur). Shadow derailleurs have their plusses and minuses, and I actually removed it from my Roam and I have the exact same M360 derailleur on it that came on your model. I use this derailleur on a number of bikes, and I find the shifting to be smooth and its operation silent and reliable. That "nicer" Shadow derailleur is in one of my parts boxes right now -- I couldn't get it to shift well on my Roam or on another bike. Both bikes shift super smooth with traditional style derailleurs, so you're not missing much in terms of the drivetrain.

There will likely always be noise if you're cross-chaining. That is, the small ring ("1") on the front and one of the smaller sprockets ("7" or "8") on the back. Or "3" on the front and "1" on the back. In general, you should trade shifting the chain to the right on the front and rear as you gain speed. The small ring ("1") on the front is best in line with the largest 4 or so sprockets. The middle ring on the front is best in line with the 5th and 6th sprocket. And then the large ring on the front is best in line with the 7th and 8th (smallest) sprockets. There is, of course, a pretty high tolerance for being outside those guidelines, but you generally want to try to keep the chain somewhat straight, for best wear, efficiency, and low noise.

The hydraulic disc brakes are superb (compared with the 3's cable-operated disc brakes). If you ever decided to upgrade something on the bike (besides your saddle for comfort), I highly recommend upgrading to hydraulic brakes. There's a night-and-day difference between them and cable-operated discs.