Old 10-12-09, 04:22 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by zeppinger
I believe a "zero tolerance policy" would be one in which a particular punishment was given out regardless of the seriousness of the offense. We already have "mandatory minimum penalties" which increase for every prior conviction. A zero tolerance policy would be one that gives out the same penalty to everyone for any road violation.

I agree with you that it would be nice if there were harsher punishments for abusing the privilege of piloting a few tons of metal at high speeds. However, I dont think that paying for massive amounts of new police (also driving huge pieces of metal) is a very good way of doing that. Over here in South Korea there are simply speed cameras set-up on every few miles of roads, even rural roads. Korea also uses extensive amounts of closed circuit television cameras.

How about, for every traffic violation, regardless of severity, your current license becomes void and you have to retake drivers training and go back to the DMV and wait in the 4-hour line to get a new one? Also, you are only allowed three licenses every 5 years. Maybe you could be required to let other drivers know how many traffic violations you have accumulated by having the same number of big yellow warning flags streaming off of your car wherever you drive?
That's not what zero-tolerance refers to, maybe for clarity it should have read "no-excuse", but it's basically the same thing. Zero-t is not the same punishment for everything.

Basically, it would eliminate "I didn't see the bike", and "I'm on my way to XXXX, and that's why I was speeding." Speed, get a ticket. Turn w/o a signal, get a ticket. Get enough tickets, lose your license -- and have to fight like HE[[ to get it back!