Old 05-04-20, 03:25 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 937 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Issue is I think some users sign up to ask a specific question about their bike, and want to post a picture or link of the issue.

You are missing lots of potential new members because of this, although I suspect many of them are one-issue posters.

Look at it from the new member's perspective. They joined what is arguably the biggest/best bicycle forum because they are choosing between two bikes they want to post, or because they can't figure out how Tab A goes into Slot B, and a picture and/or link is going to help them explain their concern. They sign up, start their post, and then are told they have to make 10 posts before they can post a pic and they won't be able to post said pic until the day after tomorrow.

They can get faster replies on red-dit. I agree the policy keeps out a lot of junk and spammers, but it also keeps out some new members who may find themselves part of the BF community.
IMO/E- The great majority of drive by postings are from people that either find a link and post on it or people trying to "for sale" a "rare" bike. (nothing is as cool as bumping a thread no posts in 14 years with "I have a bike with fenders, how much can I get for it?" or "do you still have this bike?")

Then you have the other people that show up here and ask questions and values about a bike they're flipping- then pop up another 3 months down the road asking questions and values about a bike they're flipping. They're not "community," they're not helping people and adding to discourse- it's using people's knowledge to make themselves money and giving nothing back in return.

Then you have the people that are legitimately posting, and legitimately trying to post a link- people in C&V are usually willing to help post those pics.

To me, the 2 day thing is kinda horsehockey- but I'm totally in favor of the 10 post link/pic thing.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy: