Old 05-15-19, 06:50 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1305 Post(s)
Liked 1,913 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by Racing Dan
Yes, and the fact most greases are plenty good enough is likely the reason there is so many "best" or "great" greases. Try the same in a jet turbine and Im sure the field of "great" lubricants shrink considerably.
Racing Dan,
I was on a flight from Indy to Austin a few years ago, in the first week of June. And the passenger list was mostly the engineers from the oil industry, returning to Houston from the Indy 500. What an interesting flight it was for me. Those guys were all over the latest lubricants used in the transmissions of the 9,000 RPM engines. No break down after five hundred miles of tough wear, and it came out looking clean as it went in. Found out through the flight that it was actually synthetic oil and not conventional derived stuff. I switched after that, to the same products from Ashland Oils in KY and have had great success in my personal vehicles. Each getting over 250 K before any signs of wear. I suspect that the same is going to be true going forward with grease formulas.
This is all for conventional bearings. The new ceramic bearings are a dog of a different color. They need no lubrication, and will work in water, or dry conditions. Only problem is space age materials cost a lot. $3 per bearing, in a pedal set that takes 50 bearing drive up the cost considerably. Maybe there will someday be a thread called "to grease or not to grease". Smiles, MH

Last edited by Mad Honk; 11-28-19 at 08:44 PM.