djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 971 Times in 794 Posts
Originally Posted by GadgetGirlIL
These are the shells that I use over my gloves:

https://www.aerostich.com/clothing/g...it-covers.html

Very compact, keeps my hands dry in the rain unlike my Showers Pass-THROUGH gloves, and work almost as well as my Bar Mitts at keeping my hands warm in cold weather.
mine are literally decades old, maybe 20 years old. They are simple and just one layer of Goretex that doesnt gore much anymore for rain, but as a wind block, they are fantastic. Same long length as yours, which keep my arms warmer also.
They made all the diff for winter riding, and depending on what I wear inside, I can be comfortable outside down to -30c, but for riding, just make it so much nicer at -10c with reasonable sized fleece mitts and glove liners underneath.
Have kept them in my winter jacket for years when downhill skiing also, put them on for a cold slow chairlift ride up so my hands arent so cold, and again, as they are not thick, they fold up together nicely flat in a jacket pocket.

if I were to go bike touring with cold temps like these guys are thinking of doing, I would take these hands down (sic)
One can always buy more mitts or whatever most places, but not these.
Heck, in Mexico a year and a half ago, it was unusually cold at the start of a trip and I bought a toque and gloves, was not expecting nights of 5c and cool riding, but was easy to buy them.

as commuters, these people are surely very aware of what works for them at given temps, and know what things make all the diff for their personal comfort. Thats the trick, to have riding experience in given temps so you know what works and what you can or cant live with comfort wise.

Everyone is diff, but I'm a slight fellow, and hate being cold....