View Single Post
Old 10-17-19, 02:25 PM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 62 Posts
Just to further complicate your options, you could get Zwift and Today's Plan, with Today's Plan you can have it auto-generate an entire training plan to suit particular events, and, unlike Trainerroad, it automatically imports the workouts into Zwift.

When I first started indoor cycling, I tried Zwift's free trial and found it really hard, before even completing the (I think 25km?) I already decided to move on to Trainerroad. End of 2017-2018 I religiously stuck to the Sweet Spot base programs all winter, my FTP went from 180 watts to 241. Then I raced and rode hard all summer and did a combination of Zwift and Trainerroad or Zwift and Today's Plan from end of 2018 to 2019 and my FTP rose to 275 watts. I again raced and road hard this Spring, Summer, and Fall, and just tested my FTP, it increased to 292 watts (at 135lbs). This Winter I'm already planning on just messing around on Zwift (it's pretty fun now going for segment KOMs and doing A races) and occasionally loading up custom workouts from Training Peaks.

The common theme to my above story is Zwift, I find it incredibly fun, motivating, and worth every penny. The other workout subscription systems, Trainerroad, Today's Plan, BKool, Xert, to name a few, prescribe workouts with various methodologies. Problem is, I can find research and books that all contradict each other, 80/20 rule? Sweetspot training? Strength training for endurance? What works best for you is quite individual, it's hard for anyone to really say which to use. IMO get either Kicker (I'd get the core personally) get Zwift, and just have fun!

Oh, also, get a fan, a nice industrial fan and to answer your other question, buy the climb if you just have a bunch of $$$ to burn (I've demoed it, it's OK I guess).
Likes For firebird854: