Old 01-26-19, 07:36 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Hoopdriver
Also, riding with a mirror is not likely to change the probability of getting hit from behind.
For me, that is a completely false statement. Over many years of cycle commuting during rush hour, my eyeglass mirror has save me from getting hit from behind 6 specific times. I check the mirror way more than I would have done head checks, seeing people that look like they might not move over in the mirror allows me to concentrate on the greatest threat, that motorist. Six time I saw they were not going to move over and I bailed off the road while the driver continued right over the top of my line.

For example, one time was a jeep without a driver. As I bailed and the jeep passed a foot to my left, I say the motorist bent into the passenger floor board picking up a CD player.

Another time, I saw a women reading a Pamphlet with zero attention to the road. At the time, I was in a merge to her right and she was drifting into my lane. I barely got out of the way and the lady barely looked up in time to avoid going straight into the concrete bridge support right in front of her. At the next red light, she was back to reading the Jehovah Witness pamphlet and she drove of still reading while driving. I guess she completely trusted Jesus to Pilot her.