Old 01-27-19, 02:35 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Lots of good information in this thread. I think any of the Bikes Direct bikes would be just fine - but you might be able to get something even better. I'm not against BD bikes - I own a BD single speed - but I ended up changing out a lot of components to make it something that I'd want to use on a daily basis.

As others have mentioned, spring can be a very good time to look on Craigslist, as some riders have purchased new bikes for the season and are looking to unload their old ones. I've personally found winter to be a good time on ebay; shipping will eat into the budget, but you might find a gem with a bit of work. Other brands that can be found online, sometimes with crazy low closeout prices, include Jamis, Fuji, and Blue; they're all fine brands IMO but without the brand-name price tag of Trek/Giant/etc.

I tend to agree with @Maelochs that $700 is kind of a sweet spot for a road bike; it will get you into a very nice entry-level bike, or - if you know what you're doing - a very competitive machine from the used market.

Whatever you go with, I'll also be excited to see your New Bike Day!