View Single Post
Old 07-08-19, 11:58 PM
Im Clueless

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I think the people here who are posting essentially to keep things as they are have really underestimated the loss of knowledge that can't be replaced. It isn't a matter of whether the old parts should be sold, that is the business they are in. The questions are whether they can connect the product to the people who will pay what the parts are worth, and whether the store is going to be able to resupply after the parts are sold. I imagine the old man's knowledge of sourcing was encyclopedic, and just hope they can figure it out from records, friends of their father, etc.

If you're going to be the store that has the parts no one else does, you have to find supplies of those parts. If they can't do that, they may have to become a different sort of store if they want to stay in business.
Hi Livedarklions,

That is very true. We are trying to keep 1 or 2 of each old classic part just incase a customer comes knocking, but realistically we can`t offer advice for these parts or help with their service due to the lack of knowledge we have about these things. I imagine that if a customer comes to the shop and buys a product, they`d also expect the shop to be able to help them fit/service that part as well.

My wife`s older brother is also in the process of taking over the shop and he`d like to bring it into the 21st century with modern road bikes and mountain bikes. However, this does riase the issue of holding spare classic parts for the customers who previously bought classic touring bikes etc off her dad who would build them.