View Single Post
Old 11-07-17, 11:18 AM
nickw

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Carcosa
While not the most scientific test situation, nice try testing out the different tires! Working up the skill in the corners can only help in the long run. I've been told a few times if you aren't falling you aren't trying hard enough.

That said, I don't think I'd race on file treads on any course that wasn't all grass. Any dirt corners and I'd want more knobs. Especially in racing conditions where 15 seconds does not really matter when all you have to do is beat the guy in front of you.

Add in the risk and extra effort to avoid washing out in a corner? No thanks. Gotta finish the race to win it.
+1

Filetreads work if you are really used to them on an ideal course, but one slip or crash could eliminate all the benefit. I think for most of us, the risk isn't worth it. I always play it conservative and go a touch more aggressive just to have a higher factor of safety in corners.

There are fast local guys that race on mud tires year around and still place well.

My least aggressive tire is Ritchey Shield, works well enough on 90% of dry courses.

With that said it's fun to experiment, not to take anything away from you OP. Have at it....