Thread: Two Seconds
View Single Post
Old 05-19-19, 07:36 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Even early on a lazy Sunday morning you can't count on no other traffic being present.
I've biked to work most days for 27 years. In my 30s I felt as invincible as I did as a kid in Chicago. (Truth be told, I should have ended as a smudge on Lincoln Avenue back in the late 1960s). But some time in my 30s, enough close calls taught me to not "out ride my brakes" and always "leave an out" and to always "expect the unexpected".

And when I discovered bikeforums in the mid 2000's I learned strategies and attitudes for safer riding.

Whatever satisfaction I've lost from not biking with total abandon is somewhat made for up by the satisfaction and smugness of knowing I am biking smarter than the average, more casual cyclist. It's kinda ego-centric, but it keeps me safer.

@Paul Barnard thanks for sharing. It's this kind of story and reminder that helps us all ride more safely. And thank goodness it didn't end worse or that you had to witness anything like that.