Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I recently started using a Garmin fitness tracker. After a lower leg surgery to remove a tumor that removed the top half of my right fibula, my walks have been limited (and rides non-existent as I can only bend my knee to 70 degrees currently). I occasionally find myself embarrassed when as short walk with the kids gets tagged as an activity by Garmin and autouploaded to Strava and I get a kudos notification e-mail. It's not like I'm intentionally trying to claim short walks as anything.

Just logged into strava for the first time in a while, and all my activities for the last several months are like 1/8 - 1/2 mile walks that took 10-30 minutes. I guess I need to change my settings. I did start laughing at the physical therapist the other day when I was in the middle of doing leg presses nearing the end of our session and my activity tracker started buzzing on my wrist telling me that I needed to start moving.
I went through two knee surgeries back in the day before Strava was a thing. The first few weeks of post-op riding I did were 3-7 mile rides at 10 mph or less, just to get my flexion back (and only after the PT cleared me to be on the bike). I'd get home and brag to my girlfriend how far I went and be the proudest mofo on the planet for even being outside. As long as you're advancing, screw it. Be proud to be ambulatory.