Old 09-07-10, 07:16 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3140 Post(s)
Liked 1,707 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by dpeters11
I'm working on my wife learning to ride, with a League of American Bicyclists certified instructor. She now can get started and balance on the bike if she starts from a seated position, but is having a real problem with a power start.

We're planning mostly on trail riding together until maybe next year adding some road touring events. I know the power start is the best way, but how important is it to use that method from the beginning?
This is an interesting case, because I think most of us learn to ride and develop our confidence on a bike when we are kids. Sure, we may not develop good techniques at that time, but we learn to balance and have that youthful fearlessness that lets us get into, and respond, to challenging situations. Through this process, most kids learn how to ride a bike pretty well.

As an adult learning to ride, she's probably a lot more fearful and less committed to the activity (in terms of concentration), and so she's probably also a lot more careful. Is that how you'd characterize her mental state?

If so, I'd say that it's probably going to take a lot more time and work for her to develop the confidence and competency to ride with surety...which is exactly what one needs to pilot a bicycle safely. Practicing the "power start" is essential, I think, not for the sake of the "power start," but for developing core confidence in bicycling.

By the way, when you say "trail riding," I presume you mean paved bike/multi-use paths (MUPs) and not singletrack, right?

Keep her practicing the power start. It's an important element of safe riding. I think.