Old 06-11-16, 01:04 AM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Never heard that one. It sounds pretty bunko too me. I like all my bikes to fit me well undersized bikes aren't as fun for long distance.
not bunko .... it's fact .... when you fully load the LHT, it's easier to handle if it's one size smaller than what you normally use.

lots of info on the surly user group forum, and here is a blog also making mention of opting for one size smaller:
Surly Long Haul Trucker - Touring Bicycle Review - Surly LHT

snip:
When it came to selecting the correct size, there were a few different schools of thought to consider. We took the advice of the bike shop to go for a smaller size than usual in a touring frame. The 60cm, and maybe even 62cm frame would certainly have fit me, but our man Barney at the local bike shop advised me to go for the 58cm in order to have
greater control over my steed when fully loaded, especially when getting on and off. I do have a rather long seat post and a raised stem. I didn’t even need to cut the fork down. What matters is that I feel comfortable on the bike, and so I’m absolutely sure I made the right sizing and set-up choices. Even my partner took the size down from her normal size, 46cm, and she just loves riding her Surly Long Haul Trucker.