View Single Post
Old 07-27-17, 11:37 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Here is an interesting article on a Ti bike. It seems to do a good job summarizing the strength and weaknesses of Ti:

During my early rides, my impression of the Suppresio suffered because it was a little heavier and not quite as responsive as the carbon bike I had just finished reviewing. Composites will always trump metals in both regards, so it wasn’t surprising that the bike was having a little trouble living up to this expectation.

The bike could be ridden aggressively in short bursts and it would respond well, but I found it was more satisfying to use it for longer, steadier efforts.

I really enjoyed driving the bike while staying seated on the saddle.

There was less satisfaction when jumping out of the saddle to stamp on the pedals. The bottom bracket and chainstays always felt sure and sturdy under load, but there wasn’t an excess of stiffness on display to impress more demanding riders such as pure sprinters.

the modest responsiveness seemed to suit the workhorse personality of the bike. Nevertheless, for those buyers that prefer a rigid bottom bracket and rock-hard chainstays, I don’t expect the Suppresio will satisfy.

My favourite characteristic of the Suppresio was its serene ride quality. This is something that titanium is well known for, and I really started to cherish it after I’d been on the bike for about a week. In general terms, titanium consistently takes the edge off the shocks and vibrations travelling through the chassis, but there is more to it than that.

Trying to put words to it is futile, though. I’ve yet to discover an equivalent for it, so the only way for anybody to understand it is to experience it. Even then, it’s a nuance that not all riders may appreciate. Be that as it may, I’ve developed quite a bias for it and was able to consistently enjoy it during my time on the Suppresio.

Refference: https://cyclingtips.com/2017/07/witt...-frame-review/