View Single Post
Old 01-10-06, 09:57 AM
jamesdenver
jim anchower

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i bought a townhouse about 2 years ago and it was well worth it. i've done some heavy cosmetic improvements and have learned some interesting crafts like flooring, tiling, installing a toilet (ugh). and i'm planning on building some built in cabinets and bookcases. the money spent on a house is similar to putting money in a savings account or 401k, it does return a benefit, and i don't think being simple equates living paycheck to paycheck, in fact the opposite - people that are simple CAN make and save much more money tucked away, allowing them to sustain their simple lifestyle well into their future.

i had a great real estate agent right around the corner from me, and the whole process of looking at places was very enjoyable.

as noted in my previous posts i think "simplicity" is based more on philisophy, not stuff. i think a house if done right (based on price, resale/neighorhoods) is a great investment and can make a lot of money,

should they want to travel for a few years they'll more likely to have the resources to do it. (ok that's my goal in 6 years

buying a house isn't for everyone, but if you are motivated and have a good real estate agent it can be a good experience, and again money spent at home depot for improvements is different than money spent maintaining a car, but don't go in debt on a house either of course