Old 01-29-19, 10:44 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts
Sure thing, 2i. The tires themselves have a decent rubber compound for cold riding (not as soft as the continental on the front) and plenty of siping for grip. As mentioned, the tread barely had any wear but eventually the studs re-orient themselves in their seats which then angles the edge of the flat mushroom head from a parallel to the tube orientation to tangential. This means the edge of the stud head begins to act as a pizza wheel kind of thing. Add in several 1000 rotation cycles and the stud begins to wear through the casing with enough pressure to cause a flat. Not good. I never road the tires less than 50 psi and they are rated for 70psi max (usually inflated to 60psi). I like riding with more pressure in the rear for rolling ease and a little less in the front for comfort and road grip.

To try and keep the pizza wheel effect at bay, I even installed some Tuffy liners to protect the tube. This solution was insufficient as flats still occured. Now I run the tire with no studs and a Tuffy still in it. I'm going to run a Conti top contact winter or one of the Michelin winter tires next year. In any case I'll go studless in the rear. Pictures to come (they're in the camera).