Old 03-11-19, 07:58 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
So this looks weird to me. My assumption (based upon dated notions, I'm sure) is that a tire should be able to hold some air for a bit, without sealant. At least well enough to seat the bead. The place where the OP's tire sidewalls go into the rim seems to be fabric, without adequate rubber to form much of a seal. The OP is to be congratulated in getting some seal, but I can't see how this tire works with the "fiber sealant". Perhaps a latex sealant where the rubber micelles coalesce and form the seal part of the rim are what is called for? Does the tire mfr have a recommendation (OP: I'd check in with them and give them the link to your post. I suspect you'll get a very fast response).

Just as a question, what is the percent sealant (fiber or latex micelles) in each sealant? Is Finish Line as clear as the stuff seeping out of the tire?

Originally Posted by dsaul
Finish Line sealant is not a latex sealant, so that fluid seepage is what I would expect. They use fibers to plug holes and those fibers allow the carrier fluid to seep through them. Not a very good sealant, in my opinion. I would switch to a latex based sealant. I like Orange Seal original formula.
If liquid is seeping through the membrane, then gas can seep through it. So I have to agree: this seems like a very poor sealant for the application. The big pores and grooves of the fabric where the tire seats in the rim needs more large-pore sealing capacity than is furnished by the Finish Line non-latex fiber-based sealant.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 03-11-19 at 08:18 AM.