Old 05-07-19, 06:38 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I don't see a real "boom" happening , but there are quite a few cyclists I see out and about , just not the younger crowd like it was in the 70's . I think us teenagers were at least part or a majority of the real boom in the 70's. Hell, even the rock stars were into ten speeds! I remember seeing one of the Fogerty's on a Varsity on one of the Creedance Clearwater albums. Joe joesvintageroadbikes.wordpress
I'm still trying to figure out who this group is. Pic was posted in another thread. Almost looks like a 70's album cover.

The guy in the front has "singer / songwriter / cult leader" written all over him. Early Fleetwood Mac or Starland Vocal Band? ABBA? Who knows, maybe they were just regular 1973-style hippie folks "getting back to the land" or headed to the nearest Charlie Manson or Billy Jack commune for some Free Love, "One Tin Soldier Rides Away" and all of that. Hope they packed their tambourines (and antibiotics).

Seriously though, people in their teens and 20's these days seem absolutely repelled by bicycles. it's the strangest thing. But they love scooters and skateboards. Good luck commuting to school or work on one of those. Must be some sort of generational attitude, plus the fact that that age group was, for the most part, driven everywhere and never had to walk much. I dunno, you can lead a horse to water ...