Old 05-12-19, 05:36 PM
AllWeatherJeff
Old Dog, New Tricks

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Full Hydraulic brakes on a long-distance AT excursion bike? Yea or Nay?

After much searching, I am heartily considering the 2019 Trek 920.

It is odd that this particular bike has risen to the top of my list because violates three of my initial, deal-breaker requirements for an all-around/all-terrain/touring/brevet bike.

First: (and least important) The price range is a few hundred over my envisioned price range. Easy enough to get past if I'm gonna be hanging onto it for a long time

Second: I like triple rings. Always have. But the two ring set up on the Trek 920 seems like it covers the gearing ranges I need on the incline (especially with bike's relatively lighter overall weight and my continued weight loss)

Third.
Fully Hydraulic disc brakes (pardon me for burying the lead here). This is the biggest hurdle for me.

With mechanical rim brakes, and even with hybrid mechanical-hydraulic disc brakes, I am confident enough that I could jury rig a repair to get me home or to a repair shop.

But I would be SOL if I busted a hydraulic line or had some leak or malfunction with a master cylinder.

Are fully hydraulic brakes really as dependable as I've heard some describe?

Are they just smaller versions of motorcycle brake systems?

Anyone ever experience a catastrophic failure with full hydraulic brake system? If so, what caused it?

Here are the techs and specs for the Trek 920:
[edit: I do not yet have sufficient forum mojo to post links]

Thanks for any input, advice and/or shared experiences

AWJ