View Single Post
Old 06-04-19, 04:12 PM
sullivan80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Opinion on 1x

I'm in the market for my first mtb - price range around $1000 and I'm leaning 29" wheels. Open to 27.5 but based on what I've read I think I prefer 29 plus that's what I'm used to. A few models I'm looking at right now - Trek Roscoe and X-Cal, also Giant Fathom. My LBS only carries Trek and Giant so in the interest of convenience and shopping local I'd like to stay with those brands if possible. One thing I've noticed is that around the $1,000 range MTB's start to get into 1x drivetrains. I'm coming from a 2x10 road bike and an old 3x7 hybrid so the concept of a 1x is kind of difficult for me to wrap my head around. I like the simplicity and maybe weight savings but doing some math it looks like I'm giving up quite a bit of gear range especially on the top end and honestly I really don't mind using a front derailleur since I'm used to it.

I intend to take this bike out on some mtb trails but also some gravel rail trails where I often use my top gears on my hybrid so my concern is that these 1x bikes may leave me wanting more gear on the easy flat straightaways unless I were to go with something like the 1x12 SRAM NX Eagle that is on the Orbea Alma which has a pretty large range across the 12 gears.

The Trek X-Cal has a 2x but what I've read it's geometry is not real comfortable and is geared towards racing not just fun riding and most seemed to recommend the Roscoe or Fathom over that X Cal.

Any input or experience on this would definitely be appreciated! My options are really limited, maybe non-existent as far as what I can try before buying!