View Single Post
Old 06-13-19, 10:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Juan Foote
You are ignoring an obvious aspect here.

Even IF the end of the conversation, his stopping, and turning his bike was the longest point from her distance detail...the speed is 22ft per second.
Speaking for myself, and yes this is speculative, but I would not have said anything until within about that distance. (I also would have been slowing already, but that's another argument to make) Otherwise you are looking at "yelling" across some great distance, outside, in a noisy area, that the person you are attempting communication with couldn't hear anyway.
She claims herself she never hit the brakes.
There is simply no way things could have transpired exactly the way they are told from her side of the story if you do not account for an unsafe closing speed and lack of caution on her part. Slice it any way you want. Unless this man is "The Flash" he didn't stop, dismount, and turn his scooter, stance that way in a half second.

Anywho, my whole point in this conversation with her WAS to be argumentative and to question the narrative. I didn't buy it, I don't buy it, and really hope that the fellow comes forward with his own story and or a video is produced. The lady even said there were other cyclists present at the time. It's how her speed was calculated on the report, due to a reading from the people riding near/behind her, that didn't crash by the way....
I would point out that even aside from the questionable details about speed and distance, her story changed along the way from this being her and the police to a day later discussing how her lawyer, such and such. In my own dealings with a lawyer and a liability issue such as this the very first thing I was told was not to post details online and specifically not to social media. In the course of our conversation I brought that up, asked her how "her lawyer" felt about the post, locking in her story on a public site, causing issue with a possible case, etc. and the post(s) magically all were deleted.

I will finish to say that I am not of the mind that she is just outright lying, but to anyone looking there are some serious questions to be asked. Of all the newsworthy events that happen in a town of this size, I wonder why the outlet saw this particular article worthy of posting? I suspect the demographic among other things. I hope to see more details come out, but as a poster above mentioned, it's pretty doubtful.
This is pointless--if he's going 15 mph and she's going 16 mph, she is going to be within "1 second" of him for a fairly long time. Being slightly over his speed at closing is what one would normally do when passing right? I don't know about you, but I'm sure I could turn my bike 90 degrees and hop off the saddle in a second at 15 mph (I've had to hop off that fast to avoid hitting something unexpected in front of me, without the 90 degree part), and I suspect that's a lot easier to do on a scooter where you just hop off the thing. So that gives her one second to react to a complete lane blockage she could not anticipate. You may think that's enough time to calculate how to swerve or stop, but scientifically, it just isn't. Yes, his maneuver is that fast, but he had time to think it through before doing it.

I also can make myself heard quite clearly at 20 feet, I do it all the time. If calling out a pass is a habit, you can get really good at it.

You keep describing things I do and see every day as being somehow implausible. Are you doing that for "demographic" reasons?

I should probably let you know that I tend to go from a relatively high speed to a stop unusually quickly. A lot of drivers seem to think I'm about to run a light because I use the hop off method of stopping a lot at lights. Point is, your assumptions about what someone can and cannot do are just that--assumptions.

You can pretend you were just "asking questions" all you want, but you clearly laid out a totally different scenario as being the plausible account.
Likes For livedarklions: