Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DropBarFan
I have an old Garmin eTrex Legend HCx & was thinking about trying to load Open Street Maps but the slow GPU & small memory card capacity means that might be a rather fruitless task. I happened to read about Garmin's new touring GPS, the "Edge Explore" which gets some good if not rave reviews. The previous "Edge Touring" reviews were quite mixed, the "Edge Explore" seems to have some improvements even though it's hardly perfect.

Edge Explore $250 price is not bad esp since it includes maps. REI has 90-day return policy. Basically it has most of the features tourists would want w/o training stuff like power-meter. I would already be toting a phone but even with phones' increased navigation capabilities there could still be advantages in a separate GPS. Any thoughts? TIA!
I'm newly curious about the Edge Explore as well. Hopefully people who've used them for touring can write some thoughts!

How's the battery life in real world scenarios? Trying to decide if it's worth it over a phone if they'll both have to be kept charged anyway.