Old 06-23-19, 05:43 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
A quick update on where this all stands.

In a nutshell I have mostly 'fixed' my chipseal issues on my existing bike without having to spend much $ (and I do like my current bike, BTW)

1) I got rid of the Gatorskins going to Conti GP 4/5000's. This actually happened a few months back, but the Gatorskin ride is what was prominent in my mind

2) My Conti's measure 25mm width (they are are marked as 23's - I don't think this is usual). So I dropped the air pressure down to 75F/80R which does not seem to be a big flat risk. I weigh around 160, although 150 is my 'racing weight' (as if I race) and my lay around the house weight is more like 165.

3) I changed to some cycling gloves with very significant padding. This pretty much instantly fixed the wrist pain issue I was dealing with.

JUST those changes are a big difference in how chipseal feels. There are a number of area roads that I used to avoid that I am now riding again. And I have not (yet) done any of the following

1) Change to Latex tubes

2) Change to more supple tires

3) Change to wider tires on the rear (where I have a bit of room, although not as much as I thought when looking at a glance). The actual 25's on the front are about it on the front.

So I really don't see a reason for me to go down the Domane path. And if I were to do an n+1 thing, it probably would not be the Domane (at least the 2019 model).

FWIW.

dave