View Single Post
Old 01-28-18, 06:06 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18378 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Good point on how quickly technology has been changing. It wasn't long ago that all phones had to be plugged into the wall. And, then not long before that when one had "party lines". Pick up the phone, and if someone else was talking, hang up and wait a bit. I wonder how many teenagers today could imagine not only having to share their phones with the whole family, but also sharing their phones with the neighbors (who could also listen in if they were so inclined). And, only being able to pull the phone to the end of the wire.

Things will change with cars... not overnight, but soon enough.

As far as roads... Inner city Italian roads are great.

Cities were built small and compact for many reasons, including being easier to defend and build walls around. Roads were never straight, and never wide enough. And the Italians never quite figured out one-way roads (at least when I was there), so there would always be cars going in different directions on roads barely wide enough for a smart car (or a Fiat 500/126 at the time)... but often with a car going one direction and a small truck going the other direction.

They had sidewalks... which were more for parking than walking

Perhaps technology will at least tell them not to enter a narrow street when a car is coming around the corner from the opposite direction.

But, then again, what would an Italian be without a horn, and a few choice words?

Anyway, I wonder if the roads were designed more for walking and handcarts... and then cars took over.