Old 01-29-18, 01:26 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Mobile 155
I have noticed a concern by some that the new automated cars might be too expensive? I am not sure that is a real legitimate concern. Sure if the cars you are looking at are 20 to 35k a car like a Tesla may seem expensive. Then if you consider a new Ford, Chevy or Dodge 4x4 Pickup can easily cost 60K or more with all of the back up cameras, sound system, built in cell phone, voice activated radio and heated seats today. So it wouldn't be too out of line for someone to spend 50k for a self driving car of their own.

If companies would pop up for services that provided on demand car service they would surely be given fleet discounts. Their per unit cost would be less than the private fleet I would think. The longevity of each unit could reduce the cost as well, assuming they were well built. Accidents or the lack there of would reduce the medical cost to society as well.

Just as a thought they could easily be considered transit for the masses and given a share of the funding given to buses. That would reduce the cost of a ride to the point where they could be very competitive with multi person station to station transport.

With automation there is no reason for the city bus to be the benchmark of how people are served by transportation. Automated buses might give that form of mass transit a few extra years of life but if they ever come up with a system that provides the same level of service as the private auto or even the old horse and buggy I believe people would jump on the idea.

I once believe a sea cruise was too expensive for a vacation. But over the years they have been in my reach more than once and opened up a whole new experience of travel both domestic and internationally. It is a matter of perspective and a healthy economy I believe. That and what people consider important.
The do-over cost is going to be astronomical. Not only R&D but legal costs, co-ordination between the many companies that are developing autonomous vehicles, and even the mapping that will be required. Hell, the costs of implementing cellular service that supports them is mind-boggling. Even G5 service will probably be inadequate for serving these systems that will have to communicate with each other. It might take G6 or G7 before we can swithch.

"Think Outside the Cage"