Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Then it seems like you should buy a Canyon. Or a Colnago. Or a Giant.

Even if it were easy to get discounts right now – and it’s not, due to short supplies and high demand – I would not ask for one. When I buy an expensive bike from a shop, I’m looking to establish (or strengthen) a relationship. I ride my bikes a lot, service and repairs are important to me. I want them to be happy when I walk in the door - not to roll their eyes and shake their heads.
I probably wouldn't give them such an easy pass. Heck we're heading into holiday shopping season (though not sure how much of a thing that is in the OP's market/country*), where just about everything can go on sale -- at the very least I'd ask if there will be upcoming seasonal sales. Sales are typically supported by the bike manufacturers; if the LBS says they're not happening then so be it. If they roll their eyes, they're just reinforcing consumer sentiment that we don't need physical retailers -- one can avoid the snarkiness by shopping online. As for other big brands that have similarly configured products at lower pricepoints, make the Trek LBS "salesperson" tell you why his bike is worth the extra -- you know.. actual selling points. Ask him how much less his bike weighs vs. the other brands'. They love that

*We're all saying there's a shortage, but I'm not sure it's the same for all countries and all brands and all retailers. Even here in NY, i've been in shops with apparent low inventory (not much in the racks), and other shops where the racks are full of bikes and have stayed that way, even as you watch product walking out the door.