heymatthew

Bikes: Nashbar SSCX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Trek T1 as a Light Commuter

Hey guys,
I'm fairly new around here, but I've been lurking for years. I made a terrible mistake on my first ss/fixie build last year and all of the information and insight here got me back on the road. So thanks for that.

Anyway... I live in a historic district and I'm looking for a basic ss/fixie commuter to ride to the farmer's market, tavern, etc. I had my heart set on a Fuji Classic Track, but the only Fuji dealer between here and Japan doesn't carry it. However, he sort of felt me out to see what it was I was looking for in a bike and said he had a handful of 2012 Trek T1 holdouts left in his shop that he'd let go "for a good price" (whatever the hell that means... I'm waiting on him to call me back before I drive an hour to his shop). Anyway... He said they were trying to get rid of them and that they'd probably just let it go at cost. I don't know what "cost" is on a T1, because all of the MSRP numbers are gone from the Trek Archives, but I'm assuming it'll be about a $500 bike.

So... All that being said, would you guys recommend the T1 as a basic commuter for neighborhood galavanting? I'll probably dump a little cash in it along and along to spiffy it up a bit, but really, I'm just wanting something to get me around the 'hood.

I've read a good bit about the T1 and it seems to be a bit of a polarizing bike. Some people hate it because it's a track bike and not fit for road use and others love it because it's a track bike that's cheap enough to bounce around town on without breaking the bank.

I know the components aren't the best on the market, but upgrading stuff along and along is half the fun, isn't it?

I'd definitely appreciate some insight from you guys.

Thanks in advance,
Matthew

Last edited by heymatthew; 07-31-14 at 07:16 AM.