View Single Post
Old 10-17-16, 08:41 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
No pics (sorry) - but busy weekend (Sunday in the Park with George on Friday, 24 hours in a cabin in the woods on Saturday/Sunday), but did have time for 30k worth of errands on a beautiful Sunday - out to a non-car dependent mall and back with a couple of stops in between.

30k.

But what was most special - getting to see my sister ride and run in an olympic-distance charity triathlon in the Canary Islands - live - as in Facebook live. Sometimes technology can bring families together in remarkable ways.

Saw her finish the bicycle stage and transitioning to the run, at a few more k to go in the run, and at the finish.

In May, she starting training, so we rode together on her first "long" training ride at home - 30k.

30k.

So shy of the 45k she'd ride in the event.

During the summer her speed improved dramatically along with her distance. She did open water training in Lake Ontario in a wetsuit, getting used to cold water *and* waves. On the running, she struggled with knee injuries, but managed to cross train and get healthy.

What most surprised her, she got to really like the bicycle - just like her brothers. But the rolling hills of Rochester weren't going to match riding a volcano, so she's been fearing the 350 meters of climb *and* descent. Earlier this week she rode the course and found the grade comfortable and the descent even a bit fun.

Wish I could have seen more of her on the bike - but the few seconds I saw when she was riding - you know what's funny? I somehow positively knew it was her coming into the transition zone even off in the distance when she was just a hundred or so pixels. Same when she was running - I knew it was her even when she was just a blur.

-mr. bill