View Single Post
Old 01-29-19, 10:12 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Losing weight and keeping it off over the long run are two different things. Congratulations on starting the journey.

My Mom passed away 10 years ago due to complications from diabetes that was not well controlled. That was a sobering lesson for me because I too have diabetes.

My father has dementia and no longer recognizes me; he is physically alive but not really there anymore.

Life will continually throw curve balls at you. You just have to dig in and keep swinging...it is the way it goes.

Good luck to you.

BTW, if you can afford it, get one of the newer generation trainers, maybe even a “smart” trainer. Then you can use it with Zwift, a lot more fun that way.
Curve balls are all I've been tossed the last few years it seems. My wife's health issues these past 11 years kind of put me in a place of not caring for myself the way I should have. But I can't care for her, if I'm not healthy myself... So, the journey begins.

Luckily, My A1C number held steady at 5.8 the last few years, It is now 5.3. And I hope to keep it there or lower. I am no longer in pre-diabetes category. I do have non-diabetic neuropathy in my feet though, and gout.

Sorry for the loss of your Mom. Lost mine 14 years ago, smoking ultimately. She had had lung reduction surgery 5 years before she passed, which was about 5 years longer than she would have had with out.
Sorry about your Dad. That is an evil thing to live with. Dementia was my Mother in law's situation. Post stroke...

I am watching the smart trainers. Not a question of affordability. More a question of "worth" at present. I'm not about to spend that sort of money for something that will collect more dust than my sweat... I'm telling myself to wait till next Autumn (I do not like the term "Fall"!)... See how I fare through the Spring indoors and if I can get over my fear of hills outdoors.