Old 07-26-19, 08:36 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Not so good, really. I rear-ended a car while commuting to work this morning.

It was my own fault: there was a bus in the bus stop, and I was merging left into second lane to go around it. I matched the speed of cars driving on my left, and as I threw a quick glance over the shoulder to make sure I have enough room between the cars, the car in front of me stopped to a halt, because the bus had started to pull out of the stop into the second lane (the first lane was obstructed by roadworks). I slammed into the car while going something like 30 kph.

Fortunantely I sustained no injuries to speak of, just a couple bruises. My chin is probably turning an interesting colour now, as I banged it pretty good on the car's rear window, but it's covered with beard so no one will notice. Put a small dent on the rear of the car and cracked its bumper with my front wheel. My bike seems to be fine overall - the left bar-end which made the contact is a bit crooked but the front wheel is true and even the fork seems to have survived the crash; I'll inspect it more closely in the evening, but it looks straight and I didn't notice any changes in steering.

Oh well, another lesson learned, I guess. Could be worse, I don 't want to imagine the outcome if the car behind me didn't stop in time.