View Single Post
Old 08-27-19, 08:07 AM
HPL
Barred @ Velocipedesalon

Bikes: Why list them on a non-cycling website!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Bad Lag
If it were red, it would go even faster.

I cannot seem to go slow on my bike. No, really, I have tried. I say to myself, let's just go for a nice slow ride today. Then, as soon as I get on, it's like starting an engine. It just GOES! [/b]
I have the same problem; very hot outside, take it easy; but NO! Got heat exhaustion from that once! I have to ride the 55 lb Raleigh 3 speed to "go slow" for me (13-15 MPH); then I put some toe clips on it and away I go again; I put LOOK pedals one it one time for an informal "bike shop criterium" (and I mean informal; everything to my 3 speed to tandems, all ages, and a pub stop [well for me anyways, others waited to finish]) and ended up beating quite a few (adult riders) on race frames when I was just "mucking about" (I think they were also!). I don't think I averaged 20 MPH (probably 17-18 with stops included; many "sprints" out of the saddle to beat traffic lights), but I rode over 20 miles on it and didn't realize the distance covered or time elapsed. Rode it like the "Wicked Witch of the West", a little hunched over with a purpose in mind! What bike did she ride in that movie? Margaret Hamilton, I think.

Certainly my best times/speed come on any bike that I've got set up for my body to be in a good aerodynamic racing posture, and staying in the drops as much as my back and wrists can handle; it doesn't seem to matter much on the weight (20-22 pounders) since I tend to turn at the same crank rpm's on any race bike I have given the same gear ratio(s). I don't usually ride with a cycling shirt so I'm sure that the clothing fit would help or hinder depending on what I wear. When doing my interval or TT type rides I'll always wear the body hugging attire.

Hard to go slow!