View Single Post
Old 01-20-20, 12:07 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Eggman84
And therein lies the crux. Consider that their are tycially manufacturers; the rim manufacturer and the tire manufacturer. And sometimes there instructions are conflicting, or one or both don't really give instructions. Then their are the bike stores setting these setups and sending people out (like the women on the MUP) with no clear instructions. Even "experts" on this forum can't come to agreement on procedures and compatibility. So yes, by all means convert to tubeless but understand you are part of the learning curve,
Yeah, until everyone gets together and agrees on one spec and set of tolerances (I'm not holding my breath), it's up to the tire installer to make sure the pairing is solid. One good practice I've heard is to mount up the tire dry, pump up to full pressure to seat the beads, then let the air out and see how difficult it is to unseat a bead. If it can be pushed off easily, another layer of tape is a good idea before proceeding with sealant and riding. That would help protect against blowouts as well as having the tire come unmounted if it were to lose air out in the field.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498