View Single Post
Old 01-13-05, 07:21 AM
Uncle Phil

Bikes: Dawes galaxy (mostly)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This bike has been my regular commuter and in fact my only bike for most of the past 15 years (since its beautiful predecessor was stolen in Cardiff (grrr)).
It started life as a Dawes Galaxy (the archetypal tourer in the UK), bought in 1988. The only original parts remaining are the frame (but not the paint - refinished last year by Bob Jackson in Leeds - it used to be blue), the front wheel, the chainset (but not the rings) and the rack. Oh yeah, and the brake cantilevers. ("I've had this broom for forty years; it's only had five new heads and four new handles...").

Right now it carries me 7 miles to work and 7 miles back most days I'm in the office with a pair of small panniers with a change of clothes.

I've put in some close-ups of my home-built "twin" headlamp arrangement. There's a 6V gel lead-acid battery in that grey box under the saddle, powering a 0.8 W rear light and a choice of the 2.4W front light (the big one) or the 6W front (the little one). I use the big one where there's street lights and the small bright one where there aren't.