View Single Post
Old 08-07-19, 07:26 AM
RidingRev

Bikes: 2014 Giant Defy Advanced 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After years of saddle swapping, I have finally settled on the Power Expert 155. My sit bones are 140 mm. I tried a 168 Power, but it chafed my thighs.

Neither of your lines are relevant. As another poster said, the relevant area — on pretty much every saddle I have tested — is the area where your perineum rests. On the Power, that’s the flat section from the middle of the saddle until it drops off at the nose. You should begin your saddle fit with that area level to the ground, and then micro adjust up or down. I have found that most saddles probably need to be angled slightly up: that will take pressure off the hands and lock you into the saddle. On my Power, perfectly flat works best.

The persistent claim that the Power is for riding in an aggressive position — from Specialized as well as other reviewers — is frustrating. If you search Internet reviews of the Power, you will see scores of comments that the Power is comfortable for all kinds of riders, not just in-the-drops ectomorphic sprinters. The truncated nose of the Power solves the perennial (not perineal) problem of squashed genitals on anything other than an upright bike. As a 67 year old Clydesdale, I only ride in the drops when going down a long, steep hill. The Power is infinitely more comfortable on the hoods and tops than any other saddle I have used, because as soon as I lean forward on a conventional saddle, there is pressure on my genitals. Why saddle makers didn’t figure this out a hundred years ago is a mystery to me.

If I could make one change to the Power, it would be to make it just slightly softer. The Comp and Power are softer than the Pro and S-Works, but I wish there would be just a notch more padding. I have tried the Elaston, which only comes on the Pro, which is a harder saddle. My feeling — literally — is that the Elaston on the Pro makes it feel like an Expert. And, frankly, I can’t tell the difference between the Elaston section on the saddle and the rest of the saddle. If there’s any real difference, it’s certainly not worth the $ 100 premium you pay for the “thousand tiny pillows.” This would not be the first time Specialized hyped a magic ride smoothing technology of questionable value (Zertz inserts, anyone?).

While I dislike Specialized’s marketing model, they do make great saddles. And the Power is a real game changer in the cycling world. I predict that in the next few years short nosed saddles will be the rule, rather than the exception.

Last edited by RidingRev; 08-07-19 at 07:30 AM. Reason: Formatting