Old 07-23-19, 07:11 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Originally Posted by genec
And again... as I mentioned multiple times in this thread... city centers are NOT the best place upon which to ride a bike on sidewalks.

But you want to adhere to dogma, and declare that sidewalk cycling is illegal... and therefore should not be done. Nice try, but fail!
Even in city centers sidewalks might be the *BEST* place to ride. (No, these are NOT MUPs, they are sidewalks with signs. The reason is that riding a bicycle on a sidewalk was (and is) illegal in Taipei, yet thousands did so anyway. So they put up signs on SOME sidewalks, and started enforcing the sidewalk ban on other sidewalks. There are some MUPs too though, and yes, throughout the city you can ride on the roads as well, though it takes someone strong and fearless to ride with the scooters on the stroads. Goto the "Metro Boston: Good ride today?" quoted below to see more variety of riding in Taipei. And a video of the scooters.)

p.s. Not only am I riding on a sidewalk, I'm salmoning on a sidewalk. I did not die.

Originally Posted by mr_bill
Still getting over yesterday's 37 hour Sunday. (Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!)

Used YouBikes to get around town quite a few times. Biggest problem was TomTom turn by turn directions waiting until the very last moment to announce "Left turn at" and then wouldn't tell me the name of the road. Worse, it would sometimes announce "left turn at number number number number", which as far as I could tell was a random sequence.

The Guardian on the Bicycle Kingdom.

Anyhow, a few shots from Taipei to give you a flavor of biking in the city.

Taiwan Cultural and Creative Arts Center on the left. This is Minquan East Road, a typical stroad. Three lanes in each direction, with some curbside car parking. In the middle two diamond bus lanes, the bus stops are in the center of the stroad:

Training wheels:

YouBike dock:

-mr. bill
-mr. bill