View Single Post
Old 04-06-24, 09:56 PM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 1,031 Times in 399 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
What are you doing over here in the 50+ Forum? Interloper!!! With your racing and power numbers, always thought you were in the 30s or 40s.

Anywho, I am not a competitor but over the last three years have moved my cadence from the low 70s to the low 80s and now about 90-91. Was always about hammering around 72 RPM, but the ‘spin to win’ mantra took over and found that it conserves energy without sacrificing power/speed. For me, 90 works, but it took me a while to get there - felt really unnatural at first.
I just saw it pop up on the "new posts" search and decided to respond, but yeah, still in my 30s. Regardless of age, the research suggests that we generally pick the best cadence. The caveat to that might be people on the extreme. I'd say the low 70s are very low for cadence numbers. My own personal observation is that my cadence has a rough correspondence to my power numbers. I don't know how relevant it is for others, but my cadence generally increases as my power increases...exception being steep climbs.
Likes For Sierra_rider: