Old 10-04-19, 08:26 AM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19

I will stay away from comparison of frame materials since I'm kind of obtuse and don't easily notice the differences. However, back in the day when Cannondale first came out with AL bikes I rode one and thought I'd lost the fillings in my teeth. Then about 13 years ago my GF bought me a Masi Gran Criterium. It is all Dura Ace and an AL frame w/ CF fork and stays. I loved that bike but it was a bit too big. It's beautiful but it sits in my garage. Since then I've added a steel Guru, an AL Colnago cross bike and, this year, my GF bought me a CAAD12 for my 73rd birthday. All that to say...don't ignore AL. Or, good steel actually. My Guru and CAAD12 are light (both around 17 lb. 11 oz), quick and comfortable. I have nothing against CF but for the same price you can get CF with lower components or AL with higher components. As a 73 year old, recreational rider with two bikes coming in at under 18 lbs, this is a no brainer for me. FWIW, this CAAD12 is 105, now wears Mavic USTs and cost $1300 with the original Aksium clinchers.
Oh no doubt, aluminium and steel have their merits hands down and I looked at an All City and CAAD13. Steel IMO has the most supple ride characteristics however without a doubt finding a sub 19lb steel bike is rare and or very expensive. Both steel and aluminium are usually painted which is a plus and negative IMO, but the paint jobs on ALL City bikes are amazing... Steel has similar issues to Ti in what shapes can be produced. Aluminium IMO just have sexier shapes and the CAAD line is a beauty.

To get to the point if you negate the price of Ti bikes to degree and get one used or on closeout you are really getting the best of aluminium, steel, and even parts of carbon. However it's hard not to look at Ti bikes and see how a frame alone for most companies is $2K or an "entry level" 105 rim brake bike starts at $3500 bare minimum. I didn't go this route but if you don't mind Motobecane or BD their Ti bikes are a hell of a deal. $2000 for a Ti bike with Ultegra and rim brakes and $2500 for the hydraulic disc brake version is insane and would be my choice over any steel or aluminium bike

There is no universal right answer since everyone has different uses and goals while cycling but for me Ti hits that sweet spot in terms of maintenance, crash resilience, ride qualities, and weight. I can totally understand if you want steel for a more supple ride, aluminium for value and style, and carbon for ultimate aero and weight
Likes For Jrasero: