View Single Post
Old 03-11-19, 03:39 PM
Arbutus

Bikes: 50s French Mystery Somethinorother, ‘78 Jack Taylor Tourist, ‘89 Specialized RockCombo, ‘51 Raleigh Clubman, '83 Raleigh Tourist, ‘84 Mongoose ATB, ‘78 Gitane Tandem

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 3 Posts
Reynolds 531 Gitane Tandem

I’m looking to find out about a Gitane tandem I just bought. I see over on the GitaneUSA forum that the Gitane and French Reynolds decals likely put it c. 1973-1976. Unlike most of the other Gitane tandems im seeing online, this one is made from Reynolds 531, has Campagnolo dropouts, is not step through or mixte in the rear, has an eccentric bottom bracket, and is built for 27in wheels. The parts are a bit of a mixture, likely with some changes in the 1980s. Has full TA 50.4 bcd tandem crankset, Mafac cantilever and levers, Suntour alpha 3000 rear derailleur, Campagnolo somethinerother front derailleur, Cinelli stem and drop bars in front, SR bars in rear, SR Laprade seatposts. No drum brake but cable stops and fittings for one. A brief perusal of catalogs includes the intriguing mention in 1969 of Gitane farming out specialty tandems to Alex Singer; from the looks of others I’ve seen it doesn’t have the signature fork of a Follis built one. I’ll post pictures once I meet my forum quota, but there is one with similar bones to it up on eBay right now. Any thoughts, opinions, knowledge, and pontification is welcomed.