Thread: Totally Tubular
View Single Post
Old 07-25-20, 12:02 PM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Somehow I ended up with more sets of tubular wheels (and rims) than I've ever wanted to own, . I keep thinking it's time to start riding them again because I love the way they ride but gluing them is no fun. Tape is the way to go. $10 for 2 wheels which is what Jantex runs isn't bad. The Effeto Mariposa Carogna gets good reviews but it's $20 for 2 wheels.

Have you been using those taped on tubulars going down the mountains near you?
Well, they're not exactly mountains, but I'm on the height of land between the St. Lawrence and Connecticut Rivers. There are a lot of long steep climbs. I don't have many miles on the new wheels, in part because I'm recovering from a shovel wound on my shin several weeks ago (don't ask.) I'm also not an aggressive cornerer on steep descents. But I have a lot of confidence in the tape just from trying to shift the tires with my fingers--they seem to be really stuck on there. And as you say, the price is right.

Eugene Sloane mentions Jantex tape as an alternative to cement in my 1969 copy of The Complete Book of Bicycling. So the stuff has apparently been around for awhile.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash