View Single Post
Old 09-10-20, 02:51 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,874 Times in 6,081 Posts
Originally Posted by cvrle1
Interesting take from another person I read. His thought is that it makes no sense for me to do this, as main reason people do these builds is to control every component they select. They know why make x/model x is better choice than make y/model y, Since I dont have than knowledge, there is no point of building it myself. While I never thought of it that way, it kinda does and does not make sense. I get what he is saying, but in all honesty I dont remember reading in any threads that main reason people built these bikes was because they can control each nut and bolt used. Is he correct in his view?

Thanks again for all the help and info so far.
Not in my case. I wanted a bike built from Columbus MAX tubing, their steel tubeset for larger/stronger riders. I think they may have stopped making MAX by that point (2007), and it was always a premium product. Maybe a Merckx MX Leader, but that wold have been prohibitively expensive! So I found a used Battaglin MAX frame in my size on Ebay, had it stripped and repainted in red, and then built it up with 2006 Chorus parts I spent months accumulating from Ebay and various vendors, making up spreadsheets of prices. All together, I think it cost about half what I'd have had to pay for a new MX Leader.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles