Old 09-21-20, 10:36 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
It's funny .... I have a long history of thinking for myself and doing what works, and if it doesn't work, trying something else.

I went car-free for decades, and spent a lot of that time on bikes I built from scrap. I wore what worked, I rode what worked, because that was the difference between not having a job or being employed, eating or not eating, sleeping at home or on the side of the road somewhere.

All these histrionics about "the proper way to bike" are beyond ludicrous to me.

I wear kit usually because it wicks sweat, provides pockets I can access while riding, the padding helps with saddle sores, and supportive shorts keep my dangling modifiers out of harms way. it was a very painful situation regarding a seat, a thigh, a gland, and a huge downstroke to launch from an intersection which sold me on shorts which control the location fo certain parts. Once it made the switch, I appreciated padded shorts---now almost exclusively bibs---because they are simply more comfortable in every situation. And after more than 50 years of testing, .... I am not interested if other people have reached other conclusions. Your opinions do not invalidate my findings, nor mine your. Different strokes.

Too many gears leads people to shift too often? If shifting is too easy people will shift too often? My reply is, don't get drunk and post.

As for doing one's own work .... again it is a matter of options. As long as you can ride when you want, your system works .... and whether you do your own work or not, there will be days when your bike is just broken. I always have more than one.

Mr. Peterson seems to have made a religion of his way of riding, and fine for him and his followers. Other folks have made a religion of blaming "marketing" and "advertising" for ruining cycling, and see every other cyclist as a brainless sheep buying whatever s/he is told. obviously also a nonsensical position.

"Grant Peterson" and "Rivendell" are both brands. people who buy into that propaganda are no different than people who by into "bike industry" propaganda. it is always amusing to see people claim to be more free than some other people because they follow the "right" rules.

To me, not being able to make ones own choices on basic issues .... well, whatever. If people like some of what Mr. Peterson says, so what? if they don't so what?

As far as it goes, all life is subjective. Each of us experiences his or her, and only his or her, experiences. Everything is filtered through the lenses of our conscious and subconscious minds. People looking hard for some "objective" validation of their choices, need to take responsibility. If you need external validation beyond "This works for me" you lack courage and common sense. Likewise, people who denigrate others for having a different subjective experience .... well, yeah, do the math.

This website is a hoot. I really enjoy coming here and being pompous and self-satisfied .... and I get a lot of indirect validation for that. I guess there is a "BF philosophy" and I am just a BF sheep.

I have never toured with a hatchet because for almost all camping situations a good camp knife can do all the jobs needed. Takes longer, but saves several pounds. And frankly, I don't think campers should be lopping off limbs and felling saplings .... I have always found it possible to collect fallen timber for firewood and various campsite construction projects.
Likes For Maelochs: