francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by steve sumner
the model with Campy drops and full Campy gruppo was called the Super Corsa
the model with Simplex drops and top line French parts was call the Tour de France
Very important to post accurate info on this one, what you've posted is not accurate - it's accurate for some years if you go by what's printed in catalogs, but it's not true in the reality of the bike boom production era given supplies on-hand and preference for other, bigger brands like Peugeot and Motobecane.

Near the turn of the 70s, the only difference between SC and TdF at the frame level is at the decal and, in some years, how they're equipped. The Campy vs. Simplex ends/DOs observation is not universally accurate, especially during '71, '72 and possibly other years, an issue of supply, they were using whatever they had in the bins. I have a TdF with Campy fork ends and Simplex dropouts, direct from the factory, for example. What would it be, a Tour de Corsa? That same bike came, from the factory, with Sugino cranks and BB. Won't find that in a catalog, but many here in the US can attest to having this setup.

Other fun tidbit I verified into after Chas posted about it: It wasn't just the SC and TdF using the same basic frame. The Gran Tourisme shares geometry and tubing, but adds a few accoutrements.

Quick edit: I recognize the fact 100% of the info I've posted above may not be correct. It's hard to prove personal experience, especially when you have catalogs which dictate otherwise. I'm always open to rock-solid proof to the contrary. Please, do share

Last edited by francophile; 10-06-20 at 07:39 PM.