Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
no.

There is no need for a dropper post on anything that doesnt have steep technical descents. Roadies dont need to get their weight low and over the rear wheel on pavement.
Im still confused as to why droppers are spec'd on some gravel bikes. I get why they are added by some riders, but it seems to be very regional specific and almost exclusively in SoCal where there is no gravel and the bikes are used on steep fire roads that suffer from washout and whatnot. My guess is that they are spec'd on some gravel bikes as stock more for image than need. Since my gravel roads are roads that are gravel, I have 0 need to get my butt low and behind the rear axle.

A bike that is ridden on roads, paved or gravel, just doesnt need a dropper post. I have no idea why someone would want to drop their saddle height while pedaling on a road(straight or twisty).
I agree, but apparently some people think it's an advantage in twisties and such (on road bikes), I couldn't really tell as I don't do dedicated hobby bikes.
I know that on my mini-velo, it could potentially come in handy due to it having such a short wheelbase and rutted trails. Not sure it would be worth it on longer-wheelbase bikes.