Old 12-04-20, 04:42 PM
tNuvolari

Bikes: 1986 Torpado Beta, 2006 Wilier Triestina Izoard

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by robbyville
First off, congrats on the new frame! Nice job on the parts swap with no repair stand, the cat seemed happy to have you on the floor too!

i don’t know much about that Willier frame but handling is essentially all geometry related so good chance that your new steed’s geo matches closely with the old in terms of seat/head tube angles, wheelbase and fork rake/trail. Funnily, I can still remember when carbon was becoming “the thing” the original frames were all about road smoothness and absorption ideally without being too noodly. Then they started getting stiffer as construction methods evolved. The great thing about carbon is it’s so versatile in terms of how it can be used to effect various ride traits through layup and uses. Now of course all things come around and you have many (myself included) in the “steel is real” crowd who crow about the smoothness of the very same materials that killed our butts in the past (maybe we have more ass padding now).

still, I love carbon for how it absorbs road shock better. I’m sure that’s why you mention feeling less tired at the end of the ride. Tip for even more comfort, look to your wheel set and tire choices. You can probably make easy changes there and help with your comfort both on long rides but especially in curves and corners. It’s amazing the difference between a 23 and 25c tire with a psi change can make.

Enjoy the ride and stay safe!
Thanks and I do love the bike, I was just seeing if my ideas matched with what others have experienced.
Also, when I first started riding, I was using Michelin Pro Comps in 700c x 18. Then I had Vittoria 23 and now I recently bought Pirelli 25 and the feel from the 23's to the 25's is similar to the feel from steel to carbon. It's definitely more absorbing and comfortable but not something I would notice unless I was really used to the before. In other words, it is a definite difference but it doesn't scream major breakthrough. Of course, over the miles, these little differences really have major consequences in energy and happiness. So, is it a huge, worthwhile difference? Well, no, definitely not, it is instead absolutely a positive difference that you will love! Confusing? well, good, because such is life! But I have to say I wasn't that impressed until the end of the ride and then I was a believer. Yay, carbon!
So, how is aluminum?

And, like you said, the geometry has much to do with it all. That's why Colnago's are always loved, I guess.

Here's the specs Wilier sent me on the bike:

Mine is a medium so head tube angle of 72 and seat tube angle of 74. I can't find the Torpado specs but I remember them to be in the 72 to 73 range. One difference in the bikes, other than the sloping top tube, is that the top tube is slightly shorter but that suits me perfectly as I was suspecting that my Torpado reach was too long and was thinking of trying a shorter stem but on the Wilier and the same cockpit, it feels more comfortable without the longer reach of the old bike. I'm still dialing things in though but the bike feels pretty good. I just raised the bars on the stem about 4mm or so and I'm hoping that eases some hand numbness I was getting. And I can't really go any higher so hopefully, that does it!